Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chicken Rice soup

Today was supposed to be chicken and dumplings day, but I didn't realize we were out of flour; so we did chicken rice soup instead.


2-3 lbs. chicken, cooked and shredded or cubed
1 can of corn
4 medium potatoes, chopped and microwaved for 1 min.
2.5 canfuls of instant brown rice (use the can from the corn to measure)
chicken stock/broth

Boil the chicken stock/broth, and put the chicken, corn, potatoes, and rice in. Put the lid on and simmer until the rice is cooked. Serve it up!
For my husband's lunch, I drained the liquid off so he was able to eat it one handed out of the container. Quick and easy to make- you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry and/or freezer.

Cost:
3lbs chicken at $0.99/lb- $2.98
can of corn- $0.59
4 medium potatoes, I'm guessing maybe 3 lbs? I got 20lbs/$5 on sale- $0.75
brown rice- had on hand
Total: $4.32

0 comments: