Sunday, November 23, 2008

Raw

I've had a few people ask about doing raw, and here are some of my insights so far:

What do I eat? Here's what I've eaten today:

Breakfast- Smoothie made from frozen mixed fruit, a frozen banana, and water to thin it. Frozen is okay as long as it doesn't have any other ingredients (sugar, preservatives, etc.). I didn't add it, but you can use agave or raw honey to sweeten it if you like that.

Snack- Apple

Lunch- Raw taco (also called Raco, but I said that the time that I call it a Raco is the time that I quit doing raw :-[). This is one of my most favorite raw dishes so far, and it's sooo easy!

Snack- Orange

Dinner will be raw spaghetti- fresh sauce made in the blender with zucchini noodles.

After dinner snack- I have some cookies I made in the dehydrator- delish, and very easy. I usually have some raw almonds with a little bit of agave drizzled on them if I want a snack while we watch our show.....mmmm......

In the beginning, I thought that I would never get enough to eat this way. Now, it's sometimes noon before I realize that I need to eat. I find that I get full with not a lot of food, I don't have cravings (stuff smells good, and I like to joke that I'm missing out, but I don't have an overwhelming desire to scarf naughty foods down :-[), and I stay full for a very long time with the smaller amounts of food.

Other things that I've made so far (remember that this is only my third week and the first week I ate strictly plain fruits and veggies):

-Mock turkey with fresh cranberry sauce
-Pumpkin pie
-Corn Chowder
-Stuffed mushrooms (mushed avacado mixed with diced tomatoes and onions stuffed into a mushroom that has been marinated in nama shoyu, which is a naturally brewed soy sauce that you can get at the HFCS and isn't too spendy)
-Broccoli soup- this was "meh"- I don't think I'll rush to make it again, but I didn't hate it so much that I wouldn't eat it.
-Mock ranch dressing- used this to dip veggies it, it was yum but I only made half the recipe because it makes a lot

I'll have more to give insight on after Thanksgiving, my mom and I are doing a separate raw meal for just her and I :)

Alissa Cohen is the "bigwig" of the raw world, her book is Living on Live Foods.



Raw Food Made Easy
- I haven't read this one, but Heather (mswindex) likes it.

Everyday Raw
- I haven't made any recipes out of this, but they look so yummy!

The Raw Gourmet- This has some great recipes in it

For online information-

Rawdorable- blog with some of the most delicious looking foods

Raw Food Talk- A message board, some of them are a bit over the edge but there's some good info there.


Gone Raw
- Site with a ton of free recipes

The Sunny Raw Kitchen- (this is where the ranch dressing recipe came from)


As for having to eat everything cold- not necessarily. You can heat things, but they can't go above 115* F. I use the dehydrator to heat stuff, and I also have a candle/mug warmer that I use- but I have to constantly check on it because it has the potential to go above 115*.

I've found that the must-haves to do this are a food processor, a blender and preferably a dehydrator. I haven't read this book, but I'd love to read it- it's got simple and machine-free recipes.
Raw Foods For Busy People

I'm already yearning for a Vitamix (super powerful blender), a fancy square dehydrator like the Excalibur or the Good4U, and a bigger food processor (mine is a dinky 1.5-2 cup model), but even with my basic tools I'm finding it do-able. My other "wants" are a spiraler (to make the zucchini noodles) and a Soyajoy (make raw milk), but I can use my mom's spiraler and Soyajoy (though raw almond milk isn't super hard to make by hand either, it'd just be easier with the gadget).

0 comments: