Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Raw Apple Pie

This is actually very yummy! I didn't follow the instructions (accidentally)- I was supposed to peel the apples but totally flaked. Next time I will definitely peel them, as it really upset the texture with the peels still on. If I had a mandolin I would use that to get the slices even thinner. This is a half recipe. I found the crust to be a bit too salty- when it's eaten with the filling it's perfectly salted, but the crust alone is too salty. I think next time I would put half the salt in the crust and mix half in with the filling. It is a make-again recipe though!

(If you'd like the recipe, just comment- I don't mind typing it up but I'm not going to bother posting it if noone cares LoL)

The ingredients:
Photobucket

Put the almonds in the food processor
Photobucket

Add salt
Photobucket

And dates. If your mom got your dates for you and accidentally grabbed the pitty ones, be sure to de-pit them
Photobucket

Process that together and then press into a pie plate. You want the crust processed enough that there aren't great big nut chunks but not so fine that you've got mush going on.
Photobucket

Peel your orange and put it in the blender
Photobucket

Blend it up so it's as smooth as you can get it
Photobucket

Add your dates- again, de-pit them if need be
Photobucket

Blend those together
Photobucket

Forget about the orange sauce for right now, and move onto the apples. Slice them as thin as you can- and for pete's sake, please peel them first (unlike me)
Photobucket

Add your raisins
Photobucket

And your cinnamon
Photobucket

Mix it all up
Photobucket

Now pour your orange sauce over the apples and mix that up. Pour onto crust. Voila! Raw apple pie. Enjoy! (it's even better the next day after it's had time to marinate and the flavors get to mingle).
Photobucket

1 comments:

Sarah AJ said...

That looks really yummy! I'd love the recipe when you get a chance. Thanks!